The painful saga of Megan Thee Stallion and Tory Lanez has taken yet another turn, as a judge has granted Megan a five-year civil restraining order against the Canadian rapper. This comes as Lanez continues to serve a 10-year prison sentence for shooting the hip-hop star in the feet back in July 2020. The story, which has captured global attention, speaks to deeper themes of trauma, accountability, and the resilience of a woman determined to reclaim her peace.
A Cry for Safety
For Megan, born Megan Pete, the restraining order represents more than just legal protection—it’s a step toward a sense of safety that she admits has been elusive since the fateful night of the shooting. The Grammy-winning artist filed the request for the restraining order in December 2024, asserting that Lanez had been harassing her even while imprisoned, allegedly using third parties to torment her.
On Thursday, Judge Richard Bloom ruled in her favor, stating that Megan had sufficiently proven her case. According to reports from Variety, Megan’s testimony was emotional and deeply personal, giving the court a raw glimpse into the enduring pain that the ordeal has caused her.
“I’m scared that when he gets out of jail, he’s going to still be upset with me,” Megan said through tears during her video testimony. “I feel like maybe he’ll shoot me again, and maybe this time I won’t make it.”
Megan, now 29, revealed the toll the incident has taken on her mental and emotional health. “I haven’t been at peace since I was shot,” she said, her voice breaking. “I’m just tired of being harassed.”
Her words left an indelible mark on those present, underscoring the fear and trauma that have followed her every step since the summer of 2020. Judge Bloom’s decision cited “several uncontroverted facts,” including Lanez’s violent actions that culminated in him firing multiple rounds at Megan’s feet.
The Ripple Effect of Violence
The shooting incident in Hollywood Hills continues to reverberate, not just in Megan’s life but across the music industry and among fans. The event took place shortly after Megan and Lanez left a party at Kylie Jenner’s house. What started as a heated argument escalated to an unimaginable level of violence.
Lanez, reportedly shouting “Dance, b—h!”, fired five rounds at Megan as she tried to walk away from the confrontation. Megan sustained injuries to her feet, which required medical attention. For many, this act of violence became emblematic of the struggles Black women face in being believed and protected, even in the face of undeniable harm.
Judge Bloom emphasized the “significant ripple effect” of the shooting. His ruling pointed to the way Lanez’s actions served “no lawful purpose” and left lasting scars—physical, emotional, and psychological—on Megan.
A Long Road to Justice
Tory Lanez, born Daystar Peterson, has consistently maintained his innocence. However, a nine-day trial in December 2022 led to his conviction on three felony counts related to the shooting. The charges included assault with a semiautomatic firearm, carrying a loaded and unregistered firearm in a vehicle, and discharging a firearm with gross negligence.
In August 2023, Lanez was sentenced to 10 years in prison. During his sentencing, he expressed regret but stopped short of taking full responsibility for the shooting. The 32-year-old rapper claimed he had been “wrongfully convicted” and vowed to continue fighting to clear his name.
While his legal team has hinted at plans for an appeal, the evidence presented during the trial painted a damning picture. Megan’s testimony was pivotal, as she recounted the events of that harrowing night in vivid detail. Her bravery in coming forward, despite facing a barrage of public scrutiny and victim-blaming, has been widely lauded.
Harassment Behind Bars
Megan’s decision to seek a restraining order was not made lightly. In her filing, she alleged that Lanez had been orchestrating harassment campaigns against her from prison. Though details of these alleged actions remain unclear, Megan’s plea highlighted the ways in which victims of violence can continue to be targeted long after the initial act of harm.
The restraining order now prohibits Lanez from any form of contact or harassment toward Megan. For Megan, it is a necessary measure to ensure her safety—not just now, but for the foreseeable future.
The Weight of Trauma
Beyond the legal battles and media coverage, the human toll of this incident cannot be overstated. Megan has been candid about the emotional scars she carries. In interviews and on social media, she has shared how the shooting and its aftermath have affected her mental health and her ability to trust others.
“It’s hard for me to even find joy sometimes,” she admitted in a recent interview. “I try to put on a brave face, but some days it just feels like too much.”
Her vulnerability has resonated with fans and fellow artists alike. Many have rallied around Megan, offering words of support and standing in solidarity with her. Her courage in speaking out against Lanez—and in continuing to fight for her peace—has made her a symbol of resilience and strength.
A Broader Conversation
The case has also sparked broader discussions about the treatment of women, particularly Black women, in the music industry and beyond. Megan’s experience has highlighted the ways in which survivors of violence are often doubted, dismissed, or vilified.
Despite facing public skepticism and backlash, Megan has remained steadfast in her pursuit of justice. Her willingness to share her story has helped to shine a light on the systemic issues that allow such incidents to occur—and to persist without accountability.
What Comes Next
As Megan moves forward, the restraining order is just one piece of a larger journey toward healing. While Lanez serves his sentence, Megan is focused on reclaiming her life and continuing to thrive in her career.
Her resilience is evident in her music, her activism, and her determination to protect herself. For her fans, she is more than just a rapper; she is a beacon of hope and a reminder that even in the face of unimaginable pain, it is possible to rise.
Final Thoughts
The story of Megan Thee Stallion and Tory Lanez is a sobering reminder of the far-reaching consequences of violence. It is a tale of pain, but also of strength. As Megan continues to navigate the fallout of this incident, she does so with the support of a community that refuses to let her stand alone.
For Megan, the road ahead may still have its challenges. But with her voice, her talent, and her unwavering determination, she is proving that no amount of darkness can dim her light. As the world watches her journey, one thing is clear: Megan Thee Stallion is not just surviving—she is thriving.